Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Upper Caribbean Creamy Grits With Roasted Plantains- With Adytum Signatures

Leave me alone long enough with a recipe and the inner chef keeps whispering in my ear, "Add some marsala to get more complexity into those plantains and caramelize them- too dry if you roast them...Crush and toast hazelnuts to add some crunch to the topping....toast some unsweetened coconut to wrap around the plantains...."



Your inner chef will whisper in your ear too as you play around in the kitchen with these new dishes more too. Every guest who makes a special request urges me out of my box and  helps me to expand in my cooking skills. Ultimately they help me to see that there is so much more out there-  Like the chef who taught me to "try one new thing a week, from the produce section and from the jar/can isle" Get familiar with capers, arugula, new spices, and on and on.


Here are some pictures of this morning's breakfast in the making:

This really "makes it"  The coconut creams it up, the ginger and cinnamon make it decadent...luscious....
Now it's time to top after a long, much stirred simmer~and taste (:

We served this with Apple Quinoa Banana Muffins, Maple Smoked Sweet Potato Oven Roasted Fries, and Eggs- and non-eggs - on the Half Shell.  If a vegan has to watch others eating a dish - like my guest says, "Oh, I'm used to passing things along" - well there's something inherently wrong about that. So I came up with an alternative that I'm anxious to try with grilled polenta  under the sauteed mushrooms, garlic, sweet onion and red bell pepper~
"Is Everybody HAPPY?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!